One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK) the Sunday nearest to November 11, when those who were killed in World War I and World War II and later conflicts are commemorated.
- ‘Some of these include the opening of the Chelsea Flower Show, Garter Day, Royal Ascot, and Remembrance Sunday.’
- ‘We have a special service on Remembrance Sunday, which is this Sunday.’
- ‘Unlike the conventional Remembrance Sunday services, however, the event is intended to be a celebration, showing gratitude to those who lived through the war years, as well as hope for peace in the future.’
- ‘The first old black and white is the one I always think of on Remembrance Sunday, seeing those panning shots of the battlefield hell.’
- ‘He had been a ‘familiar figure’ at every Remembrance Sunday service held there for almost 50 years.’
- ‘This was a poignant and disturbing concert, especially in its timing on the day before Remembrance Sunday (it was repeated on the day itself in Birmingham).’
- ‘This is even more pertinent because, as a result of the terrorist attacks in the United States on September 11 th, 2001, Holocaust Memorial Day, like Remembrance Sunday, has been freighted with new and ever more urgent messages.’
- ‘Meanwhile, three of the handful of surviving World War I veterans led the Remembrance Sunday march-past at the Cenotaph in London - and two of them were Navy men.’
- ‘On Remembrance Sunday, the congregation stands, heads bowed, while the names are read out.’
- ‘The war itself encouraged a kind of secular religiosity, symbolized in the Cenotaph erected by Lutyens in Whitehall as a memorial to the war dead and in the annual ritual of Remembrance Sunday.’
- ‘Four days after bonfire night I took part, with thousands of people all round the country, in another commemoration - Remembrance Sunday.’
- ‘These are built around the annual movements of the Court to Balmoral, Sandringham, and Windsor, as well as the events such as Trooping the Colour and Remembrance Sunday that are attended by the whole family.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.