One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A kind of sleep that occurs at intervals during the night and is characterized by rapid eye movements, more dreaming and bodily movement, and faster pulse and breathing.
- ‘During REM sleep, we dream, and babies twitch and move around.’
- ‘Moreover, the percentage of stable breathing diminished with increasing age, body mass index, REM sleep, and supine position.’
- ‘It happens during three distinct periods during the night called rapid eye movement or REM sleep.’
- ‘The increase in the power of LF component during the postapneic hyperventilation was significantly more pronounced in non-REM sleep than in REM sleep.’
- ‘Although alcohol can make you drowsy and is in fact a depressant, it can cause a restless sleep and actually may deprive you of needed REM sleep.’
- ‘Other species cannot provide information about mental processes during sleep, so controversy surrounds the question of whether or not animals are dreaming during REM sleep.’
- ‘Note the decreasing amounts of slow wave sleep and increasing amounts of REM sleep over the course of the night’
- ‘A person starts dreaming upon entering REM sleep.’
- ‘Some think the process is akin to REM sleep, where eye movements accompany the digestion of daytime memories.’
- ‘This is especially true in infants, who spend most of their time in sleep, and most importantly in REM sleep.’
- ‘Franco and colleagues have demonstrated that infants born to smoking mothers have a higher arousal threshold to auditory stimuli during REM sleep.’
- ‘Most frightening dreams occur during REM sleep, and most REM-altering disorders and medications affect dreaming.’
- ‘The studies were done during slow wave sleep and REM sleep.’
- ‘Patient reports of dreams experienced during REM sleep tend to be bizarre and detailed, with storyline plot associations.’
- ‘Thus, the model used in this study has important features similar to the neural events during natural REM sleep.’
- ‘People who don't sleep for long enough or who sleep very lightly, become deprived of REM sleep.’
- ‘Suppression of motor output to pharyngeal dilator muscles during non-REM and REM sleep promotes airway closure.’
- ‘When supplemental oxygen was given, all six infants had an increase in sleep duration due largely to an increase in REM sleep.’
- ‘If you're awakened during REM sleep, you may recall vivid dreams.’
- ‘Melatonin had no effect on sleep quality, wakefulness, total sleep time, or percentage of time spent in REM sleep.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.