One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pitcher who enters the game in place of the previous pitcher.
- ‘The second key event in the Dodgers' year was in the World Series, when Gibson, playing on injured knees, managed to hit a game winning home run off of the most feared relief pitcher at the time, Dennis Eckersley.’
- ‘The Cheers bar is owned by Sam Malone, a shameless Lothario whose claim to fame is his former career as a relief pitcher for the Boston Red Sox baseball team.’
- ‘Nor should you look to be betting on any team that does not have at least one adequate relief pitcher ready for action.’
- ‘Stats such as batting averages and the earned-run average of the ace relief pitcher can be updated as the game goes on.’
- ‘Though if she recalled correctly, her home team Forester would have lost if Bailey's relief pitcher hadn't lost the game.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.