A pitcher who enters the game in place of the previous pitcher.
- ‘Though if she recalled correctly, her home team Forester would have lost if Bailey's relief pitcher hadn't lost the game.’
- ‘Stats such as batting averages and the earned-run average of the ace relief pitcher can be updated as the game goes on.’
- ‘Nor should you look to be betting on any team that does not have at least one adequate relief pitcher ready for action.’
- ‘The second key event in the Dodgers' year was in the World Series, when Gibson, playing on injured knees, managed to hit a game winning home run off of the most feared relief pitcher at the time, Dennis Eckersley.’
- ‘The Cheers bar is owned by Sam Malone, a shameless Lothario whose claim to fame is his former career as a relief pitcher for the Boston Red Sox baseball team.’