Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A pitcher who enters the game in place of the previous pitcher.
- ‘The second key event in the Dodgers' year was in the World Series, when Gibson, playing on injured knees, managed to hit a game winning home run off of the most feared relief pitcher at the time, Dennis Eckersley.’
- ‘Though if she recalled correctly, her home team Forester would have lost if Bailey's relief pitcher hadn't lost the game.’
- ‘Nor should you look to be betting on any team that does not have at least one adequate relief pitcher ready for action.’
- ‘Stats such as batting averages and the earned-run average of the ace relief pitcher can be updated as the game goes on.’
- ‘The Cheers bar is owned by Sam Malone, a shameless Lothario whose claim to fame is his former career as a relief pitcher for the Boston Red Sox baseball team.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.