One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘In the 18th century this route was often used by cattle thieves, or reivers, as they hurried to escape government troops.’
- ‘Despite a brief revival during the British civil wars, the reivers had disappeared by the end of the 17th century.’
- ‘The Pass of Ryvoan in the Cairngorms is both the beginnings and the end of an ancient cattle reivers ' trail.’
- ‘As an aside, I visited Tullie House museum a while ago and the section about the Border reivers is quite fascinating.’
- ‘These roadless hills have always been a refuge for rogues and reivers, a lawless area in times past where cattle-rustlers would hide their stolen beasts in secret clefts and hollows.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.