One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘As an aside, I visited Tullie House museum a while ago and the section about the Border reivers is quite fascinating.’
- ‘The Pass of Ryvoan in the Cairngorms is both the beginnings and the end of an ancient cattle reivers ' trail.’
- ‘These roadless hills have always been a refuge for rogues and reivers, a lawless area in times past where cattle-rustlers would hide their stolen beasts in secret clefts and hollows.’
- ‘Despite a brief revival during the British civil wars, the reivers had disappeared by the end of the 17th century.’
- ‘In the 18th century this route was often used by cattle thieves, or reivers, as they hurried to escape government troops.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.