One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Import (goods processed or made from exported materials)‘we supply European farmers with calves which we reimport as veal’
- ‘If your hard disk becomes damaged or you lose any of the music you've purchased, you'll have to reimport all your songs and buy any purchased music again to rebuild your library.’
- ‘Widely studied in England, his works were transmitted by missionaries to continental centres of learning, then reimported for the late 9th and 10th-cent. revival of English learning.’
- ‘Politicians will surely reimport drugs and dispense them at cheap prices.’
- ‘I heard on the radio today that they have stopped supplying certain pharmacies in Canada because said pharmacies reimport drugs into the United States.’
- ‘The safety of reimported drugs cannot be guaranteed!’
- ‘In search of a well-educated but cheaper workforce, plus foreign government enticements, the U.S. pharmaceutical industry has been shipping production jobs overseas only to reimport their goods back to the United States.’
- ‘The pharmaceutical industry's programme of sending HIV / AIDS drugs to Africa at preferential prices has been undermined by unscrupulous traders reimporting the cheap drugs to Europe for sale at full price, it emerged last week.’
- ‘The reasons that reimporting them is a bad idea are economic ones.’
- ‘That fear stems from moves by four of the world's largest drug makers to begin choking off supplies to Canadian pharmacies which reimport drugs to American consumers.’
- ‘Yet despite this unwitting generosity, I cannot legally visit those countries and reimport what my subsidy sold them on the cheap in the first place.’
- ‘The export created shortages within India and several million tonnes then had to be reimported by the Indian government at the world market price.’
- ‘The pharmaceutical industry vehemently opposes reimporting drugs, a practice that undercuts their US sales.’
1The action of reimporting something.
- 1.1 A reimported item.
- ‘His take on the issue, in fact, is the same as the drug companies ’, which claim that allowing reimports would hurt their ability to bankroll research on the next generation of drugs.’
- ‘‘If the US, the last of the free markets, ever starts allowing reimports or does ‘National Bargaining’, I would suggest that the Drug Companies start the bargaining BEFORE they have finished their research and development.’
- 1.1 A reimported item.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.