Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Metamorphism affecting rocks over an extensive area as a result of the large-scale action of heat and pressure.Compare with contact metamorphism
- ‘Orogenic or anorogenic, there was much deformation and regional metamorphism both before and during the intrusion of plutons between 1.36 and 1.47 billion years ago.’
- ‘One occurrence seems unrelated to igneous activity and may be the result of regional metamorphism of dolomite- and anhydrite-rich evaporites.’
- ‘Field relations indicate that intrusion post-dated the peak of regional metamorphism and the main foliation-forming event.’
- ‘The succession has experienced both a low temperature, but relatively high-pressure, regional metamorphism (up to garnet zone) and a phase of earlier hydrothermal metamorphism.’
- ‘Two phases of regional metamorphism are related to their respective episodes of penetrative deformation in the southern Central Iberian Zone.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.