Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Very strictly organized or controlled.‘the regimented life of a long-term prisoner’
- ‘Willows, elders and alders can be planted around the edges to soften the effect of the regimented poplars.’
- ‘The workshop will not be strictly regimented.’
- ‘The England camp is also a very disciplined and regimented place.’
- ‘It is a quiet life, and a regimented one.’
- ‘Today, where society is far less regimented we expect less formality.’
- ‘The clinical trial process follows a very regimented format.’
- ‘There is a very strictly regimented regime within the social hierarchy of those cows.’
- ‘They have been forced to live regimented lives to minimise the risk of further abuse.’
- ‘Factories had foremen and life became correspondingly more regimented.’
- ‘The terraced garden is not just a series of regimented stepped rows running up the hill.’
- ‘If this all sounds a bit regimented, no kidding.’
- ‘Burlington, who took over the design from Wren, has almost denuded the building of ornament and left a regimented series of solids and voids.’
- ‘The public had previously called upon the artistic community within the establishment to throw off the shackles of regimented style favoured by the state.’
- ‘I had been set loose, free from the regimented lifestyle of a footballer.’
- ‘Away from the regimented world of lap times, she has got back that winning habit.’
- ‘"We stay to a pretty regimented price," he says.’
- ‘He dealt with it in the way coaches deal with everything, in a very regimented way.’
- ‘Unfortunately, on this scale, the shapes are too simplistic, the edges too regimented.’
- ‘It all seems so regimented now, with the need to plan ahead.’
- ‘Nothing looks regimented or overly neat.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.