One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sporting event consisting of a series of boat or yacht races.
- ‘Sometimes the finish line just doesn't come soon enough especially if this is your third race of the regatta.’
- ‘The Forum will provide some of the necessary tools for turning already well-organised regattas into special events.’
- ‘The one hundredth race of the regatta came down to a battle between Denmark and Austria.’
- ‘A series of three selection regattas that began in December last year ended on Sunday with 44 rowers being named for the Athens Olympic team.’
- ‘The service is available to anyone without regard to their ability to pay for it and the donations from charity events like regattas cover the costs of care not covered by insurance or other means.’
- ‘Like the boats of Anguilla and Martinique, these are now used for racing at the regattas.’
- ‘The championship regatta comprised eight races, with the best six results to count.’
- ‘There are also individual coaching decisions on what crews race at which international regattas.’
- ‘Mr Mills had raced at many regattas over the years, including Henley, and trained regularly both on and off the water.’
- ‘The Olympic regatta consists of 14 races over the course of nine days.’
- ‘Squadrons also conduct on-the-water activities for members such as regattas, navigation contests and fishing derbies, plus social events on shore.’
- ‘The more Germans go out upon the waters, whether it be in races or regattas, whether it be in journeys across the ocean, or in the service of the battle flag, so much the better it will be for us.’
- ‘Potomac cleanup began in the 1960s and the river has since rebuilt its reputation on first-class events like sailing regattas and bass fishing tournaments.’
- ‘His colourful style was influenced by Dufy, with whom he shared a liking for cheerful subjects such as horse races and regattas.’
- ‘Last year she finished in fifth place but will be looking to improve on that and possibly challenge for a medal in what will be one of the toughest events in the regatta.’
- ‘There was also a thank you from the people of Dingle to Charlie, the man who helped make the local regatta a national media event.’
- ‘The regatta provided an excellent opportunity for sailors to hone their skills against some of the best sailors in the country.’
- ‘Today sees the conclusion of the regatta with three races and the promise of improving weather.’
- ‘For the first time, the regatta will include a fun dragon boat race with 12 teams of corporate sailors.’
- ‘Many marinas are having BBQs, music, raffles, charity fundraisers, beach clean-ups, regattas and boat safety demonstrations.’
Early 17th century: from Italian ( Venetian dialect), literally ‘a fight, contest’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.