One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A short course reviewing or updating previous studies or training connected with one's profession.
- ‘Drivers found guilty of breaking rules are sent for a refresher course, scientifically designed to both teach them the road rules and reduce high stress levels with yoga.’
- ‘A refresher course doesn't have to be an actual lesson - it can be as simple as a mental adjustment.’
- ‘A two-day refresher course for people who have already been through the programme is being held at the Thistle Hotel in Fleming Way, Swindon starting on Saturday.’
- ‘And if you don't think such considerations are crossing their minds at this time of crisis, may we suggest a refresher course in The Facts of Life?’
- ‘What students would benefit from is a refresher course in personal responsibility.’
- ‘Perhaps one of our colleges could step in, and, alongside evening classes in web page design and advanced computer studies, run a handwriting refresher course.’
- ‘A training programme will be introduced for new recruits with a refresher course for existing drivers.’
- ‘I think a refresher course every three or so years would improve safety on the roads.’
- ‘First aid training is mandatory, and I take a refresher course from the Red Cross every year or so.’
- ‘One nurse had not worked in nursing for a few years and was taking the class as a refresher course.’
- ‘According to the report, the company is going to invest huge sums of money in an unprecedented remoulding project for the young man, in which he is supposed to take a refresher course in college and then serve in the army.’
- ‘Her refresher course attracted 11 teachers from Levin through to New Plymouth and reflected the growing interest in the dance form.’
- ‘The annual refresher course and cardiopulmonary resuscitation practice lasts a day and is followed by an examination.’
- ‘Nick had come along on an open-water refresher course with Lynn, one of the centre's instructors.’
- ‘I will fly out in early June and spend a week on a sailing refresher course before beginning as an instructor.’
- ‘The CHC is calling for all NHS trust and primary care trust directors and other appropriate staff to go on a refresher course about the need to consult patients when changes to services are proposed.’
- ‘I'll probably need to do a refresher course, practice my long distance swimming, scrape the dust off my dive gear, and shed some weight to squeeze back into my custom-made wetsuit!’
- ‘And if anyone needs a refresher course on that topic, they should take a look at the complete text of attorney Floyd Abrams' report.’
- ‘I have secured a place on a two-month refresher course to be held in one of the maternity hospitals.’
- ‘He provides a refresher course on the menstrual cycle and facts on PMS, recommended foods and nutraceuticals, and discusses the pharmaceutical option.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.