One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Make or become frozen again.
- ‘The thin layer of topsoil is constantly thawing and refreezing during the summer, and this makes any plant growth very difficult.’
- ‘It's not safe to reheat or refreeze previously warmed food, so throw away any left over at the end of a mealtime. Put a bib on your baby, and keep some wipes handy for cleaning messy faces!’
- ‘Press it into a simple glass mixing bowl lined with plastic wrap, refreeze it until it gets hard, and unmold it onto a plate.’
- ‘If the caution light is flashing it means one of two things - the machine is out of syrup or it needs time to refreeze.’
- ‘Immediately refreeze only those packages that are still solidly frozen.’
- ‘The Edinburgh team have discovered that at ‘high’ ice temperatures, for example - 5 degrees C, friction creates ripples in the ice surfaces because some ice has melted and then refrozen.’
- ‘Winter urban areas see so much traffic that snow gets melted only to refreeze as ice, which makes the roads dangerous.’
- ‘If meat, chicken or fish falls below the right temperature and is refrozen, it can be very dangerous.’
- ‘Official monitors didn't catch the changes in levels because it appears the water gauge near the bridge was frozen in place after the river broke and refroze the first time.’
- ‘A subsample of the perfusate was refrozen for chemical analysis.’
- ‘Other more localized areas appear to have melted over broad regions and blocks of ice have foundered, tilted, and become refrozen.’
- ‘Eliasson's point of focus is the ‘tongue,’ the geological term for glacial movement in which a mountain snowcap melts, runs down into, a valley and refreezes.’
- ‘The frozen serum was thawed, and an aliquot was removed for testing; the remainder of serum was immediately refrozen at - 80 deg C.’
- ‘A portion of the snow or ice melts during the day and refreezes at night, which makes the walls undergo daily freeze/thaw cycles.’
- ‘It's always best to refreeze the previously frozen wheat after 30 days to assure that any eggs hatched since the last treatment are killed.’
- ‘Once the milk has been thawed, it should not be refrozen.’
- ‘Turkey thawed in the refrigerator can be refrozen without cooking, although there may be some loss of quality.’
- ‘40 degrees F or below the food is safe and may be refrozen.’
- ‘Field conditions necessitated that eggs be boiled and then frozen, and they experienced several periods of thawing and refreezing on the trip from field to laboratory.’
- ‘It is melted and then refrozen and has to be monitored by an ‘ice doctor’ who has to stay on site for the week.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.