One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A period immediately following stimulation during which a nerve or muscle is unresponsive to further stimulation.
- ‘The refractory period, the period following orgasm during which the person cannot be sexually aroused, lengthens.’
- ‘The alkaloid also acts on the myocardium to depress conduction and irritability, as well as to prolong the myocardial refractory period.’
- ‘These actions are attributed to binding with nociceptors, which causes a period of enhanced sensitivity followed by a refractory period of reduced sensitivity.’
- ‘One pathway is relatively fast and has a long refractory period; the other pathway is slow with a short refractory period.’
- ‘The refractory period sets a limit on the frequency at which action potentials can be conducted along single nerve fibres.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.