One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An instrument for measuring a refractive index.
- ‘Preventive maintenance must be performed on all equipment related to the urinalysis including analyzers, pipettors, refrigerators, microscopes and refractometers.’
- ‘In its simplest form, grape sampling might consist of selecting some berries haphazardly from the vineyard and expressing juice into a refractometer to measure sugar content.’
- ‘The refractometer measures the refractive index of the total soluble solids.’
- ‘Discerning the difference between a gas and liquid thus requires a refractometer that can measure slight differences between critical angles and reflection intensities.’
- ‘For most gemstones the refractive index can be measured with a gemmologist's refractometer, but the refractive indices of diamond, some zircons, and certain other gem materials are too high to be measured with most of these instruments.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.