Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An instrument for measuring a refractive index.
- ‘For most gemstones the refractive index can be measured with a gemmologist's refractometer, but the refractive indices of diamond, some zircons, and certain other gem materials are too high to be measured with most of these instruments.’
- ‘The refractometer measures the refractive index of the total soluble solids.’
- ‘Preventive maintenance must be performed on all equipment related to the urinalysis including analyzers, pipettors, refrigerators, microscopes and refractometers.’
- ‘Discerning the difference between a gas and liquid thus requires a refractometer that can measure slight differences between critical angles and reflection intensities.’
- ‘In its simplest form, grape sampling might consist of selecting some berries haphazardly from the vineyard and expressing juice into a refractometer to measure sugar content.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.