One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Give a new format to; revise or represent in another format.
- ‘Sliding out the keyboard automatically reformats the display from portrait into landscape mode.’
- ‘Since there's no write protection, nothing will stop a malicious user from reformatting it with the Operating System's disk tools.’
- ‘I had reformatted my computer and lost the dial-in number.’
- ‘On both PCs, we reformatted the hard drives and installed a new operating system before installing ServieWise to avoid any legacy software that might interfere with our testing.’
- ‘I told him I used your software and was reformatting my hard drive.’
- ‘Despite trying to educate her and installing firewall plus anti-virus software, I find myself having to reformat my daughter's PC every few months because it ends up loaded with spyware and adware.’
- ‘It may be impossible to reinstall without reformatting the hard disk of your computer.’
- ‘To be really sure you've deleted Microsoft worms and viruses, you've got to reformat the disk before restoring from backup.’
- ‘There's a hodgepodge of tools available to assist harried helpdesk staffers in doing everything from reformatting disk drives to remotely controlling a PC.’
- ‘It asks a few questions and then proceeds to repartition and reformat the hard drive, so be sure you're ready to let that happen.’
- ‘Replacing software without having to reformat data or change hardware would also be possible.’
- ‘This would give the attacker the ability to take any action on the computer they desired - including changing web pages, reformatting the hard drive, or adding new users to the local administrators group.’
- ‘The input from the new user interface must also be reformatted to allow the underlying legacy program to understand the request.’
- ‘Alternatively, you can simply backup these packages to an external storage medium when reformatting your computer so you can quickly and easily update the machine.’
- ‘The system cannot directly access data wherever it resides on the network and, as a result, it must move the data from the core database and often reformat the entire file.’
- ‘Tim Power, a Kilkenny newsagent who operates a small cybercafe, has reformatted his computers after finding them loaded with Internet worms.’
- ‘Viewer copes best with word processor and text documents, reformatting the text to fit the narrow screen.’
- ‘If you are not happy with the distribution, just pop the diskette out, throw it away (or reformat it) and reboot your PC.’
- ‘It could take any action the user himself could take, including adding, changing or deleting data, communicating with web sites, reformatting the disk drive, and other actions.’
- ‘There's little else left to do but reformat my hard disks and reinstall Windows and all my software.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.