Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Replant with trees; cover again with forest.‘a project to reforest the country's coastal areas’
- ‘The project will reforest old crop fields and pastures and an abandoned rock quarry that has degraded over the years.’
- ‘‘When the five-year program ends in 2007, a total of 3 million hectares of wasteland across the country will be reforested,’ Prakosa said.’
- ‘With that aid, they're building wells, increasing chicken and goat production, reforesting their land with fruit-bearing trees and cassava, and planting maize, beans and sweet potatoes.’
- ‘Much of the land being reforested is marginal farmland lying within the flood plain.’
- ‘A portion of the book proceeds go to maintaining and reforesting the site.’
- ‘The Lincoln Boyhood Nature Trail is a circular trail, approximately one mile in length, which winds through a natural reforested area.’
- ‘Each tree purchase aids efforts to reforest ecosystems and habitats across the United States and around the world.’
- ‘Since 1993, Oakhurst has been helping to reforest the Portland area through the Oakhurst Millennium Tree Challenge.’
- ‘Finally, the book concludes by looking at the last several decades of the farm's history, when the federal government purchased the land and began reforesting it with loblolly pines.’
- ‘The Global ReLeaf campaign aims to plant 300,000 hillside trees and 3,000 street trees to reforest denuded slopes in and around the city.’
- ‘The WWRC set a goal of planting 1,000 trees to help reforest the community.’
- ‘Some of those trees will reforest a site at Sikhote-Alin Reserve in the Far East that suffers from yearly wildfires.’
- ‘In the initial stages of reforesting the land, water had to be carried daily for the saplings from as far away as three kilometres.’
- ‘It would reforest land around several streams, restore three damaged springs, and use alternative techniques to control erosion.’
- ‘It has put forward no plans, however, to force timber companies to reforest the stripped areas and made no mention of the ongoing logging activities.’
- ‘All three components are tightly linked in a cooperative research program to reforest Missouri floodplains once dominated by oaks and other native trees.’
- ‘During this meeting, the provincial assembly drew up a detailed plan for reforesting the mountains of Fujian and adhering to the national forest policy.’
- ‘As efforts to reforest the Earth gain momentum and as tree plantations expand, tree planting will emerge as a leading economic activity.’
- ‘We continued reforesting the hills around Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina.’
- ‘Highland areas would be reforested to create a filter through which rain and groundwater could be purified for use in the more populated valleys and lowlands.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.