One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The process of boiling a liquid in such a way that any vapor is liquefied and returned to the stock.
- ‘After separation by TLC and elution from the silica gel, ASG and SG were hydrolysed with 2 N methanolic HCl under reflux for 4 h at 100°C.’
- ‘They looked at various substituted benzaldehydes and cyanoamides and compared the results of traditional ethanol reflux, water reflux and solvent-free conditions.’
- ‘For water extraction of Sophora flavescens, 200 g of dried root was mixed with 1,800 ml of distilled water and extracted under reflux for 3 hr by boiling the mixture.’
- ‘In general, distillation can be carried out either with or without reflux.’
- ‘Sugar concentrations in the tips were measured after extraction two times in 4 ml of 80% ethanol boiled with reflux for 20 min.’
- 1.1technical The flowing back of a liquid, especially that of a fluid in the body.
- ‘I would not have diagnosed reflux on the basis of those records.’
- ‘I also had a child with reflux [a kidney infection], which meant she couldn't sleep lying down.’
- ‘He was also experiencing increased heartburn and obvious gastroesophageal reflux.’
- ‘Just doors away on the same street, Paul Samuels suffered numerous urinary infections and was also diagnosed with the same reflux as the Buckley and Chapman children.’
- ‘Most investigators consider any esophageal pH below 4.0 as the cutoff defining reflux of gastric acid into the esophagus.’
1Boil or cause to boil in circumstances such that the vapor returns to the stock of liquid after condensing.
- ‘Second, the alkaloid is refluxed with acetic anhydride for about five hours.’
- ‘Three liters of 95% ethanol were added to each bottle and then refluxed for 4 hours.’
- ‘Until 1991, the Defendants manufactured on the site prochloraz-manganese complex; the process involved refluxing prochloraz with manganese chloride, an inorganic compound.’
- ‘In the laboratory higher concentration ethanol, with less water, can be produced by refluxing the rectified spirit with quicklime and then distilling the alcohol mixture.’
- ‘Ginseng root was refluxed with ethanol, and WSF and LSF were prepared from this ethanol extract.’
- 1.1technical (of a liquid, especially a bodily fluid) flow back.
- ‘If the muscular valve above the stomach leaks, food mixed with acid washes back, or refluxes, into the esophagus.’
- ‘Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease is defined as symptoms or mucosal damage resulting from the exposure of the distal oesophagus to refluxed gastric contents.’
- ‘Normally, this muscle is always contracted, preventing acid from refluxing into the esophagus.’
- ‘The reflex peristaltic contraction sweeps any refluxed gastric fluid back into the stomach.’
- ‘The main function of pyloric closure is to reduce the volume of fluid that refluxes into the distal stomach from the duodenum.’
Middle English: from re- and flux.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.