Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The process of boiling a liquid in such a way that any vapor is liquefied and returned to the stock.
- ‘Sugar concentrations in the tips were measured after extraction two times in 4 ml of 80% ethanol boiled with reflux for 20 min.’
- ‘They looked at various substituted benzaldehydes and cyanoamides and compared the results of traditional ethanol reflux, water reflux and solvent-free conditions.’
- ‘After separation by TLC and elution from the silica gel, ASG and SG were hydrolysed with 2 N methanolic HCl under reflux for 4 h at 100°C.’
- ‘For water extraction of Sophora flavescens, 200 g of dried root was mixed with 1,800 ml of distilled water and extracted under reflux for 3 hr by boiling the mixture.’
- ‘In general, distillation can be carried out either with or without reflux.’
- 1.1technical The flowing back of a liquid, especially that of a fluid in the body.
- ‘Just doors away on the same street, Paul Samuels suffered numerous urinary infections and was also diagnosed with the same reflux as the Buckley and Chapman children.’
- ‘Most investigators consider any esophageal pH below 4.0 as the cutoff defining reflux of gastric acid into the esophagus.’
- ‘I would not have diagnosed reflux on the basis of those records.’
- ‘I also had a child with reflux [a kidney infection], which meant she couldn't sleep lying down.’
- ‘He was also experiencing increased heartburn and obvious gastroesophageal reflux.’
1 Boil or cause to boil in circumstances such that the vapor returns to the stock of liquid after condensing.
- ‘Until 1991, the Defendants manufactured on the site prochloraz-manganese complex; the process involved refluxing prochloraz with manganese chloride, an inorganic compound.’
- ‘In the laboratory higher concentration ethanol, with less water, can be produced by refluxing the rectified spirit with quicklime and then distilling the alcohol mixture.’
- ‘Second, the alkaloid is refluxed with acetic anhydride for about five hours.’
- ‘Ginseng root was refluxed with ethanol, and WSF and LSF were prepared from this ethanol extract.’
- ‘Three liters of 95% ethanol were added to each bottle and then refluxed for 4 hours.’
- 1.1technical (of a liquid, especially a bodily fluid) flow back.
- ‘The main function of pyloric closure is to reduce the volume of fluid that refluxes into the distal stomach from the duodenum.’
- ‘The reflex peristaltic contraction sweeps any refluxed gastric fluid back into the stomach.’
- ‘If the muscular valve above the stomach leaks, food mixed with acid washes back, or refluxes, into the esophagus.’
- ‘Normally, this muscle is always contracted, preventing acid from refluxing into the esophagus.’
- ‘Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease is defined as symptoms or mucosal damage resulting from the exposure of the distal oesophagus to refluxed gastric contents.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.