Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The nerve pathway involved in a reflex action, including at its simplest a sensory nerve and a motor nerve with a synapse between.
- ‘Card's results imply that there could be a simple neural solution that ‘answers’ questions within what is essentially a reflex arc.’
- ‘Superimposed on this reflex arc, are suprasegmental modifying influences from the brain stem, cerebellum, basal ganglia, and cerebral cortex.’
- ‘These relaxations are vagally mediated, but the reflex arc that produces them can be affected by stimulation of other receptors.’
- ‘When the normal sympathetic reflex arc fails to discontinue at the appropriate time, a temporary vasoconstrictive action of small vessels occurs.’
- ‘The changes in the blood vessel and local hemodynamics could be mediated via a reflex arc, consisting of somatic afferent and autonomic efferent components.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.