Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Each of two officials who assist the referee from the touchline, especially in deciding whether the ball is out of play.
- ‘The referee, the referee's assistant, Roy Carroll, Sir Alex and everybody else agrees that Tottenham scored a perfectly good goal.’
- ‘Three players were flagged as being offside before the referee's assistant changed his mind after a chat with the referee and allowed Amoako's goal to stand.’
- ‘Stags did have the ball in the net in the first half but Shayne Bradley, who shone in attack, was judged to be offside by the referee's assistant.’
- ‘The referee's assistant has actually given the penalty as well by putting his flag across his chest.’
- ‘The referee's assistant flagged for handball outside the area and had the result been in doubt the keeper might have been sent off.’
- ‘Odlum faces a misconduct charge after confronting one of the referee's assistants as the teams left the pitch.’
- ‘Lee Bowyer hammered the rebound into the net only to have his effort ruled out by the referee's assistant.’
- ‘Rangers were presented with a chance to take the lead when referee's assistant Mr Bowen flagged for the slightest of pushes on Richard Dickinson.’
- ‘Replays indicated that the referee's assistant's decision was correct.’
- ‘The referee's assistant has just signalled that we have two minutes of additonal time.’
- ‘It was not long then before Craig Dargo and Peter Canero were gesticulating at the referee's assistant, feeling they had been unjustly pulled up for offside.’
- ‘As the ball rolled back into the goalmouth, Toure clipped the ball home on the rebound only for the referee's assistant to raise his flag.’
- ‘There was also a missile-throwing incident when a referee's assistant was struck by a coin thrown from a section of the Spurs fans.’
- ‘The referee's assistant told them both to get on with it.’
- ‘Initially, referee Eddie Evans seemed content to give both players a severe talking to but after consulting with his referee's assistant brandished a red card at Parkin.’
- ‘Wayne Carlisle tried to hook the ball clear but the referee's assistant had spotted the ball had already crossed the line.’
- ‘We felt we could have had three points but unfortunately one of the referee's assistants has decided to give an offside.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.