One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Either of two giant conifers with thick fibrous bark, native to California and Oregon. They are the tallest known trees and are among the largest living organisms.
- ‘Among the towering redwoods rise clumps of native trees.’
- ‘The nursery offers other conifers, including Colorado blue spruce, deodar cedar, Douglas fir, and coast redwood.’
- ‘It is just off the main route to the Redwood Park, home of the famed giant redwood trees that rise up to 367 feet and can live for more than 2,000 years.’
- ‘Among the colossal redwoods, proportions change and dimensions shift.’
- ‘A grove of giant redwoods or sequoias should be kept just as we keep a great and beautiful cathedral.’
- 1.1 Used in names of other, chiefly tropical, trees with reddish timber.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.