Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Either of two giant conifers with thick fibrous bark, native to California and Oregon. They are the tallest known trees and are among the largest living organisms.
- ‘The nursery offers other conifers, including Colorado blue spruce, deodar cedar, Douglas fir, and coast redwood.’
- ‘Among the towering redwoods rise clumps of native trees.’
- ‘It is just off the main route to the Redwood Park, home of the famed giant redwood trees that rise up to 367 feet and can live for more than 2,000 years.’
- ‘A grove of giant redwoods or sequoias should be kept just as we keep a great and beautiful cathedral.’
- ‘Among the colossal redwoods, proportions change and dimensions shift.’
- 1.1Used in names of other, chiefly tropical, trees with reddish timber.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.