Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
usually with modifier An enzyme which promotes the chemical reduction of a specified substance.
- ‘The enzymatic mechanism of detoxification involves dehydroascorbate reductase, glutathione reductase and other enzymes.’
- ‘These enzymes are thioredoxin reductase and glutathione reductase respectively.’
- ‘Sulphate reduction is initiated and carried out by the enzyme APS reductase in leaf and root plastids.’
- ‘The polyol pathway uses the enzyme aldose reductase to convert glucose to sorbitol.’
- ‘Nitrate reduction is catalysed by nitrate reductase and nitrite reductase.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.