One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A substance that tends to bring about reduction by being oxidized and losing electrons.
- ‘The reducing agent in the reaction is zinc that is oxidized by donating two electrons to the copper ions.’
- ‘In the case of making iron in a blast furnace, the carbon is added as coke, which is converted into carbon monoxide - the actual reducing agent.’
- ‘Typically, hydrogen peroxide is an oxidizing and reducing agent.’
- ‘Lithium aluminum hydride is an important reducing agent in organic chemistry.’
- ‘It can react either as an oxidant or a reducing agent, is a very good nucleophile, and is a base that can be protonated.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.