Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[usually as modifier] A process in which one substance or molecule is reduced and another oxidized; oxidation and reduction considered together as complimentary processes.‘redox reactions involve electron transfer’
- ‘Species that participate in redox reactions are described as either reducing or oxidizing agents.’
- ‘These metals are essential for most redox reactions which, in turn, are fundamental to cellular function.’
- ‘Bacterial redox reactions with minerals are already being exploited in mining low grade or inaccessible ores.’
- ‘Instead it has been proposed that extension is a result of active redox processes.’
- ‘In every redox reaction, an atom must increase its oxidation state and an atom must decrease its oxidation state.’
1920s: blend of reduction and oxidation.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.