Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
usually as modifier A process in which one substance or molecule is reduced and another oxidized; oxidation and reduction considered together as complimentary processes.‘redox reactions involve electron transfer’
- ‘Instead it has been proposed that extension is a result of active redox processes.’
- ‘Bacterial redox reactions with minerals are already being exploited in mining low grade or inaccessible ores.’
- ‘Species that participate in redox reactions are described as either reducing or oxidizing agents.’
- ‘In every redox reaction, an atom must increase its oxidation state and an atom must decrease its oxidation state.’
- ‘These metals are essential for most redox reactions which, in turn, are fundamental to cellular function.’
1920s: blend of reduction and oxidation.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.