Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Dissolve or cause to dissolve again.
- ‘The extracellular medium was redissolved in deionized water and extracellular polymers were precipitated by adding ethanol to reach a final concentration of 80%.’
- ‘The crystals were harvested by centrifugation and redissolved in water.’
- ‘The residue was redissolved in 1 ml distilled water and used for total soluble carbohydrate determination.’
- ‘The ethanol extracts were combined, the ethanol evaporated and the sugars redissolved in deionized water.’
- ‘The chelate precipitate was centrifuged, redissolved in water at pH 7.2 and made up to 500 ml.’
- ‘The hexane extract was evaporated, redissolved in chloroform and passed through a short silica gel column.’
- ‘The heroin is filtered, washed with water, and redissolved in boiling water containing citric acid and charcoal.’
- ‘The cell-free filtrates were freeze-dried and redissolved in deionized water.’
- ‘The cleaner works by redissolving the metallic stain.’
- ‘Total lipid was extracted into chloroform-methanol, dried under a stream of nitrogen and redissolved in isopropanol.’
- ‘Eluents were dried at 35°C under vacuum and redissolved in 1 ml distilled water.’
- ‘Subsequently, two rounds of phenol/chloroform extraction were performed, and DNA was recovered by ethanol precipitation, dried, and redissolved in water.’
- ‘The freeze-dried samples were redissolved in 0.2% hydroxylammonium chloride.’
- ‘The residue was redissolved in 0.5 ml of hexane and analysed by gas-liquid chromatography.’
- ‘The dried pellets were redissolved in 1 ml water.’
- ‘THH extract was redissolved in sterile distilled water before use according to the doses required.’
- ‘Twice, the sample was redissolved in water and redried under vacuum to remove any remaining acid.’
- ‘DNA was redissolved in 100 l of sterile water and stored at 4°C.’
- ‘The aqueous phase was collected by centrifugation, dried under vacuum, and redissolved in 0.7 ml of water.’
- ‘The supernatant was used for soluble sugar determination and the last pellet was redissolved in distilled water for starch determination.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.