One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person who redeems someone or something.
- ‘They have also held out the invitation to their readers among the political and intellectual elites to join them in becoming their nation's redeemers.’
- ‘Ilia can then be the redeemer of the condemned son.’
- ‘The final words are redemption for the redeemer.’
- ‘The very next day he goes to the town gate and speaks with the other redeemer about Ruth.’
- ‘But to paint him as a socialist redeemer would be stretching reality.’
- ‘The nation needs men like him, the nation needs to move forward and redeemers who have its interest at heart must step forward even against their party interests in the House.’
- ‘All too predictably, postwar commentators cast white women as both the causes and the potential redeemers of a deteriorating society.’
- ‘The concept of a redeemer, a liberator, or a deliverer is much closer to the state of mind that is prevalent today than is the innocuous and ambiguous term information.’
- ‘From my conversations with dad I understand that he is a redeemer.’
- ‘Wielding his mighty blade, he is the redeemer of souls and the vanquisher of Satan.’
- ‘Samuel called the people together and told them that Saul would be the redeemer of their sins.’
- ‘The alchemists, identifying themselves with Merlin, now looked for a heroic redeemer in every way the opposite of Henry VI.’
- ‘They also spoke of a future redeemer that would bring reconciliation to the whole world, through Israel.’
- ‘Like many of the postwar commentators he represents, Doc considers women to be both the causes and the potential redeemers of a morally deteriorating society.’
- ‘Hailed as a ‘national hero’, the dead Nelson was seen almost as a redeemer.’
- 1.1often the Redeemer Christ.
- ‘The only way to be saved is to believe in the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ, the Creator / Redeemer, who died and rose again to pay the penalty for mankind's sin.’
- ‘There is only one Shepherd who is the truth, Jesus Christ the Creator, Redeemer, Saviour, Lord and Judge.’
- ‘He is the unique Creator, Redeemer, Life-giver and life-taker.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.