A fairly small wolf with a cinnamon or tawny-colored coat, native to the southeastern US but possibly extinct in the wild.
- ‘Mating between eastern Canadian wolves, red wolves, and coyotes is possible, he said, because they share a common ancestor.’
- ‘Even the red wolf and bison could be reintroduced one day.’
- ‘For example, a large fraction of both red wolves and gray wolves have turned out to be wolf/coyote hybrids.’
- ‘The endangered red wolf is another case in point.’
- ‘Gray wolves can be distinguished from red wolves by their larger size, broader snout, and shorter ears.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.