One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rich cocoa-flavored cake with a distinctive reddish color, typically prepared as a layer cake with buttercream or cream cheese icing.
- ‘Many times you get Red Velvet Cake and it's just flavorless red colored cake that relies on the frosting for taste.’
- ‘Miya's bringing red velvet cake and Nobu's bringing jello.’
- ‘While he provides many tips for healthier cooking, this book is laden with temptations, ranging from red velvet cake (a chocolate one colored red and topped with a rich icing) to twice-fried plantains with green salsa.’
- ‘Our home-economics class even baked a beautiful three-layered red velvet cake for the event.’
- ‘After a somewhat lackluster attempt at making a Red Velvet cake in early December from a decent, but outdated, recipe, I decided to try baking the cake again from a different recipe.’
- ‘For dessert, we sampled the creme brulee cheesecake and a large slice of red velvet cake with rich chocolate frosting and raspberry filling.’
- ‘Her Really Red Velvet Cake is as red as a climbing rose in June (the bright magenta hue is achieved with a prodigious amount of red food coloring).’
- ‘Behind the counter they have 2 large cardboard boxes filled with individual slices of Red Velvet Cake in plastic countainers.’
- ‘I went with the upgrade and got a slice of the famous Red Velvet Cake with the pecans for a total of $6.’
- ‘Moist, red velvet cake and traditional triple-layered favorites, such as German chocolate cake, carrot cake, and strawberry shortcake, compete with lemon meringue pie and peach cobbler.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.