Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A discoloration of seawater caused by a bloom of toxic red dinoflagellates.
- ‘Commonly known as red tides, harmful algae blooms choke shallow waters and narrow inlets, and kill tens of thousands of fish annually.’
- ‘On recent red tides that have been plaguing Victoria Harbour, the secretary said the cause was unknown.’
- ‘It is possible that red tides don't occur during turbulent conditions because the turbulence prevents dinoflagellate populations from growing.’
- ‘But 96 were believed to be caused by red tide, a toxic bloom of algae in the water.’
- ‘Scientists studying red tides previously believed that after an algal bloom, high concentrations of brevetoxins didn't last long in the marine environment.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.