Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small tree squirrel with a reddish coat.
- ‘A majority of the squirrels that were brought to the Taos were Eurasian red squirrels.’
- ‘Deer mice and red squirrels were photographed at plots of each nest-stratum treatment.’
- ‘It is a haven for bird life and other wildlife - roe deer and red squirrels can often be spotted from the house.’
- ‘However, there are also still huge problems ahead, such as the fate of the red squirrel and Scottish wildcat.’
- ‘The cats can and do eat red squirrels, ground squirrels, and grouse, but an abundance of hares is lynx heaven.’
- ‘I do catch glimpses of red squirrels and deer, however, but I fare much better with the flora.’
- ‘Someone told me there that all your native red squirrels had almost gone, replaced by more aggressive grey squirrels.’
- ‘If red squirrels are to survive in the Lake District, grey squirrel control will have to continue forever.’
- ‘Mostly it consists of sandy woodland and pristine marshes, full of red squirrels and sika deer.’
- ‘As for squirrels, we have red squirrels round here, which are an endangered species.’
- ‘There, the red squirrels faced pressures from their larger cousins - introduced American grey squirrels - and their numbers dwindled.’
- ‘Foxes, red squirrels, badgers, hares, otters, Scottish wild cats, seals and bottle-nose dolphins can be seen if you have the dedication to find them.’
- ‘Unfortunately, their advance has caused the decline of Britain's native red squirrels, all but eliminating them in the south of England.’
- ‘A mixture of alder, cherry, oak and other native species has attracted red squirrels as well as roe deer, hares and kingfishers.’
- ‘The red squirrel is a noisy and common woodlot resident in Nova Scotia.’
- ‘Canadian red squirrels are reproducing earlier in the year.’
- ‘They are also prime real estate for red squirrels, bushy-tailed wood rats, northern goshawks, great gray owls, and long-eared owls.’
- ‘Although we applaud the current conservation efforts to build refuges for the red squirrels, we think these may not be enough.’
- ‘There are lots of birds, chipmunks, red squirrels, snakes and there was even a tree frog at our site.’
- ‘The story had been that these big, bulky gray squirrels simply bullied the red squirrels.’
red squirrel/red ˈskwər(ə)l/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.