One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cardinal's hat, especially as the symbol of a cardinal's office.
- ‘After they accept the cardinals' traditional red hats in a February 21 ceremony, the number of electors, who must be under 80 years of age, will be 135.’
- ‘This he made abundantly clear in the allocution he delivered in Rome on May 12, 1879, on the occasion of receiving the cardinal's red hat from Pope Leo XIII.’
- ‘Cardinal Winning gained his red hat because he operated well within the conservative parameters of the present Pope.’
- ‘Ratzinger was understood to be behind the Pope's decision to refuse a red hat to Lehmann on four separate occasions.’
- ‘His appointment as Cardinal also came as a surprise to many, breaking a century-old tradition of the red hat going to Armagh.’
red hat/red hat/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.