One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An Australian gum tree with smooth bark and hard dark red timber.
Genera Eucalyptus (and Angophora), family Myrtaceae: many species, in particular the widespread river red gum (E. camaldulensis)
- ‘But they have managed to control the disease in yellow gums and river red gums by adding nutrients to the soil.’
- ‘A little further downstream were towering red gums and grey gums.’
- ‘Mr Henry has also released a report which claims more river red gum and black box trees are dying along the Murray River than first thought.’
- ‘It was mainly the river red gum,, from which the Aborigines cut and peeled long sheets of bark to make their canoes.’
- ‘The school's year 4 students planted 64 native trees, including river red gums, wattle and melaleuca, to attract wildlife to the school.’
- 1.1 Astringent reddish kino gum obtained from some red gum trees, used for medicinal purposes and for tanning.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.