One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bird of a race of the willow ptarmigan having entirely reddish-brown plumage, native only to the British Isles.
- ‘Marsden Moor supports large numbers of moorland birds such as the golden plover, red grouse, curlew and the diminutive twite.’
- ‘The black grouse needs a more varied habitat than the better-established red grouse.’
- ‘It is the home of the lapwing, curlew, golden plover, dunlin and red grouse.’
- ‘Fine weather throughout the spring and early summer has produced encouraging numbers of red grouse for the start of the season on Tuesday.’
- ‘The problem is that numbers of red grouse are in freefall, continuing a downward trend witnessed over the past 20 years or more.’
red grouse/ˈˌred ˈɡrous/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.