Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A very large star of high luminosity and low surface temperature. Red giants are thought to be in a late stage of evolution when no hydrogen remains in the core to fuel nuclear fusion.
- ‘Multiple collisions involving red giants and other stars might yield the random orbits her team has observed.’
- ‘When its fuel runs out, an old star expands into a red giant and then collapses to become a white dwarf.’
- ‘It is believed that eventually the sun will expand into a red giant, swallowing all of the inner planets, and destroying all life on earth.’
- ‘About a billion years before a sun-like star ‘dies,’ or stops generating energy via nuclear fusion, it becomes a red giant, growing dramatically to a hundred times its original diameter.’
- ‘It will then turn into a swollen red giant, burning to a frazzle any life left here on Earth.’
red giant/ˈˌred ˈjīənt/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.