One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A deer with a rich red-brown summer coat that turns dull brownish-gray in winter, the male having large branched antlers. It is native to North America, Eurasia, and North Africa.See also elk
- ‘My first encounter with a rare herd of red deer wintering in the Austrian Alps came after a four-hour ascent on skis through snowed-in forests and steep terrain.’
- ‘They preyed on roe deer, red deer, and wild boar, but were also much loathed and dreaded for their depredations against livestock, especially sheep.’
- ‘During the past 10 years, an average of 35 red deer, 50 roe deer, and 100 wild boar were hunted annually.’
- ‘New tools and weapons were invented to hunt the animals of the forests such as red deer, roe deer, wild boar, and cattle.’
- ‘Bison, mammoths, red deer, and other animals moved south, and the Neandertals and early humans followed them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.