One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A migratory butterfly that has dark wings marked with red-orange bands and white spots.
Genus Vanessa, subfamily Nymphalinae, family Nymphalidae: several species, in particular the common and widespread V. atalanta
- ‘Not just the usual cabbage whites this year, but tortoiseshells, red admirals, painted ladies and peacock butterflies too.’
- ‘She was lying in the dust beneath a white buddleia, staring straight ahead, sniffing at red admirals and painted ladies as they fluttered past.’
- ‘Beds of nettles are slashed to the ground when the caterpillars of red admiral and other butterflies are hatching for next year's generation.’
- ‘I saw fritillaries, red admirals, and a couple of kinds of skippers up there this afternoon.’
- ‘All the way we were accompanied by electric blue and emerald green damsel flies and along the banks we spotted red admirals, painted ladies, peacocks, and mere common butterflies.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.