One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The most common and most widespread hawk of North and Central America, with a reddish tail.
Buteo jamaicensis, family Accipitridae
- ‘Inland airports are havens for other species like Canada geese and red-tailed hawks.’
- ‘Instead they are eaten primarily by large birds, such as great-horned owls and red-tailed hawks.’
- ‘It also provides breathing room for raptors such as prairie falcons, golden eagles, and red-tailed hawks.’
- ‘If you see the red tail on an adult red-tailed hawk, one of the most common hawks in these parts, you don't have to look any further.’
- ‘Keep your eyes peeled for desert tortoises, wild burros and red-tailed hawks, and bring plenty of water.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.