A South African plant with tall erect spikes of tubular flowers, the upper ones of which are typically red and the lower ones yellow.
- ‘The arrangement of pendulous petal groups has a similar appearance to that of the red-hot poker or some aloe flowers.’
- ‘Native plants are preferable, but many hummer enthusiasts swear by exotics such as single varieties of fuchsia, as well as lantana and red-hot poker.’
- ‘Gardens are pub-bright with lots of geraniums and red-hot pokers and little spiky palm trees.’
- ‘Hot colours, such as red-hot pokers and Crocosmia ‘Lucifer’, look great.’
- ‘It's also an easy plant and not quite what you expect from a red-hot poker, as its colouring is gentle and receding rather than dominant.’
red-hot poker/red hät ˈpōkər/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.