Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Remove further or different material from (a film or screenplay)‘director Tony Scott recut several key scenes’
- ‘Somewhere, in an alternate universe, the film is drastically recut.’
- ‘The 30-minute program from the primary was recut and broadcast, incorporating much of the information in the book.’
- ‘That's the 90-minute version that the studio recut against Gilliam's wishes.’
- ‘The original episodes have been recut to feature longer musical performances, which is a welcome addition.’
- ‘Viewers didn't know it, but Anne was as formidable a presence behind the screens as she was on it, changing scripts and recutting films until she was satisfied.’
- ‘The battle sequences are so obscured by the editing - I believe the film was recut for classification purposes - that you haven't a clue who's doing what to whom.’
- ‘Now, the film has been recut to include 11 minutes of footage which make it more spiritual and uplifting, in accordance with the wishes of Blatty.’
- ‘But all of the guitar, bass and drum parts were recut using the original demos as a guide and template.’
- ‘I'm actually looking forward to watching it, since it's been recut and improved.’
- ‘To make matters even worse, the films were recut and retitled nearly every time they were released for exhibition in a new country.’
- ‘So they recut it, so people wouldn't scream in horror!’
- ‘They extensively recut it and removed several minutes of footage.’
- ‘The script is too safe, and the studio forced the movie to be recut according to test screenings.’
- ‘Unfortunately, after he shot and delivered his film, Artisan marketing decided they needed more ‘traditional’ horror elements and reshot and recut the film.’
- ‘It lost money despite the studio's efforts to recut the film so as to overcome aspects of it that had caused preview audiences to reject Huston's original version.’
- ‘I wonder if the film has been recut yet again for DVD release, as the running time is only 95 minutes on the disc.’
- ‘My films several times were recut after I finished them, and, needless to say, I thought, for the worse.’
- ‘We could have tried to recut it and made it more generic, but we liked it and felt it could work.’
- ‘Apparently, the film has been recut for its wide release, with the better parts of Mr. Brown's performance left behind.’
- ‘I'm recutting the show for syndication, and I'm including that back story because I want it to be very clear that this was Jack's issue with these two women.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.