Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The final section of the large intestine, terminating at the anus.
- ‘A probe is inserted in the rectum and the prostate looked at with ultrasound waves and any abnormal areas are sampled with a special needle.’
- ‘Your doctor may check your prostate by putting a finger into your rectum to feel the back of your prostate gland.’
- ‘From an anatomical and surgical point of view, the rectum begins at the peritoneal reflection.’
- ‘Continence depends on functioning muscles and nerves in and around the rectum and anal canal.’
- ‘Bacteria from the rectum can travel up the urethra and cause infections more easily.’
- ‘Hemorrhoids are enlarged, bulging blood vessels in and about the anus and lower rectum.’
- ‘The colon and the rectum are part of the large intestine, which is part of the digestive system.’
- ‘These sores occur mainly on the genitals, anus or in the rectum, but also can form on the lips and in the mouth.’
- ‘Hemorrhoids occur when straining or pressure causes the veins in your rectum to swell and enlarge.’
- ‘Cancer of the rectum may involve removing the whole rectum and anus.’
- ‘These swollen and inflamed veins in your anus and rectum are another source of rectal bleeding.’
- ‘The uterus may also press on the rectum causing constipation.’
- ‘This instrument is carefully passed through the rectum (back passage) and into the colon.’
- ‘In many cases the bowel will continue to work as before, with stools passing through the bowel, rectum and anus.’
- ‘The primary site of infection is the endocervix with secondary infection of the rectum or urethra.’
- ‘When the disease affects only the rectum - the final portion of the bowel, it is known as proctitis.’
- ‘This infection can affect the genitals, anus, rectum and throat, and can affect both men and women.’
- ‘An abscess may form around the rectum and anus causing pain and swelling.’
- ‘Hormone changes slow the passage of food through the gut, while the growing uterus can put pressure on the rectum.’
- ‘Besides providing support, these muscles control the action of the rectum and anus.’
Mid 16th century: from Latin rectum (intestinum) ‘straight (intestine)’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.