Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An electrical device that converts an alternating current into a direct one by allowing a current to flow through it in one direction only.
- ‘Examples include self-winding wristwatches and rectifiers in electrical circuits.’
- ‘Thus the outward rectifier does not contribute to the resting conductance.’
- ‘Our rectifiers have software controls, and we use 30% fewer components because of our software base.’
- ‘Electric current, on the other hand, can be restricted to one-way flow, as in a rectifier or diode.’
- ‘Probably the best known use of silicon is in transistors, photovoltaic cells, rectifiers, and other electronic devices.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.