Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
DNA that has been formed artificially by combining constituents from different organisms.
- ‘Transfection is a process whereby nucleic acid, primarily as recombinant DNA of known sequence and functionality, is placed in a target cell.’
- ‘The identification of specific DNA genes for desirable traits and the transfer of those genes into another organism became known as recombinant DNA technology or genetic engineering.’
- ‘This gave rise to the genetic revolution, including recombinant DNA technology and gene therapy.’
- ‘Standard protocols were followed for experiments involving recombinant DNA.’
- ‘Standard methods were used for the manipulation of recombinant DNA.’
- ‘Gene flow is the transfer of recombinant DNA incorporated in genetically modified plants into wild populations.’
- ‘They are small, discrete, circular portions of DNA, which have the ability of accepting portions of recombinant DNA, and also have the ability of being readily exchangeable between micro-organisms.’
- ‘The first part of the book gives a brief history of genetic engineering and summarizes the techniques used to integrate recombinant DNA into the plant genome.’
- ‘In order to express a particular protein using recombinant DNA, one needs enough information regarding the gene encoding the protein, so that additional vector DNA segments can be recombined with the gene to effect protein expression.’
- ‘The basis of the term recombinant DNA refers to the recombining of different segments of DNA.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.