One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An upholstered armchair that can be tilted backward, especially one with a footrest that simultaneously extends from the front.
- ‘The lounge was big, and filled with many comfy sofas and recliners.’
- ‘There was a chair and a stool, but alas no recliners.’
- ‘The entrance leads into a large lounge flanked with recliners and ottomans.’
- ‘Grandma and Grandpa were very happy to see us and I took a seat in my favourite recliner.’
- ‘She shrugged slowly, climbing onto his lap as he took a seat in the recliner.’
- ‘He smiled warmly as he leaned back in the comfortable recliner, feet resting on the coffee table before him.’
- ‘The three of them were seated on the same couch that had faced the large recliner.’
- ‘The living room had a couch, a table, and a recliner, and the bedroom had a double bed.’
- ‘Forcing her legs to comply, she crossed over to the recliner by the window and sat down.’
- ‘Loveseats, club chairs and ottomans, wing chairs, recliners and dining chairs all can benefit from the addition of a fashionable slipcover.’
- ‘Like recliners, many nineteenth-century rocking chair inventions were directed toward the special needs of the very young, the elderly, and the infirm.’
- ‘I sat down in the recliner, reclined it back as far as it would go and yawned.’
- ‘On the opposite side of the room were four recliners that matched the couches spread across the length of the wall.’
- ‘I stepped towards his seat in one of the recliners, then turned slowly.’
- ‘Back in the living room she sat on the couch and he sat in the recliner in the corner.’
- ‘Mike smirked, taking a seat in the recliner and immediately putting his feet up.’
- ‘I took my seat on the couch, while he sat in the recliner, propping his crutches nearby.’
- ‘The gas logs blazed as I lounged in my recliner and watched television with the beeper on the table.’
- ‘He took a seat on the couch next to Marie, while Joe eased himself into a recliner by the window.’
- ‘The rest of us file in behind them, taking seats on the couch and assorted recliners.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.