One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An upholstered armchair that can be tilted backward, especially one with a footrest that simultaneously extends from the front.
- ‘The gas logs blazed as I lounged in my recliner and watched television with the beeper on the table.’
- ‘The living room had a couch, a table, and a recliner, and the bedroom had a double bed.’
- ‘I took my seat on the couch, while he sat in the recliner, propping his crutches nearby.’
- ‘He took a seat on the couch next to Marie, while Joe eased himself into a recliner by the window.’
- ‘There was a chair and a stool, but alas no recliners.’
- ‘Forcing her legs to comply, she crossed over to the recliner by the window and sat down.’
- ‘He smiled warmly as he leaned back in the comfortable recliner, feet resting on the coffee table before him.’
- ‘I stepped towards his seat in one of the recliners, then turned slowly.’
- ‘The entrance leads into a large lounge flanked with recliners and ottomans.’
- ‘The rest of us file in behind them, taking seats on the couch and assorted recliners.’
- ‘I sat down in the recliner, reclined it back as far as it would go and yawned.’
- ‘Grandma and Grandpa were very happy to see us and I took a seat in my favourite recliner.’
- ‘On the opposite side of the room were four recliners that matched the couches spread across the length of the wall.’
- ‘The lounge was big, and filled with many comfy sofas and recliners.’
- ‘The three of them were seated on the same couch that had faced the large recliner.’
- ‘Back in the living room she sat on the couch and he sat in the recliner in the corner.’
- ‘Loveseats, club chairs and ottomans, wing chairs, recliners and dining chairs all can benefit from the addition of a fashionable slipcover.’
- ‘She shrugged slowly, climbing onto his lap as he took a seat in the recliner.’
- ‘Like recliners, many nineteenth-century rocking chair inventions were directed toward the special needs of the very young, the elderly, and the infirm.’
- ‘Mike smirked, taking a seat in the recliner and immediately putting his feet up.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.