One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to an economic recession.‘recessional times’
- ‘In addition, the recessional economy has created a more cautious buying environment.’
- ‘This trend was due to lower outflows on services and other incomes earned because of the recessional conditions of the domestic economy, including the export sector.’
- ‘Because it has diversified from gaming and tourism, Las Vegas is no longer immune to U.S. recessional trends, he said.’
- 1.1Astronomy Relating to or denoting motion away from the observer.
- ‘Typical recessional speed for Virgo cluster galaxies is about 1,200 kilometres/second.’
- ‘So, in a nutshell, if a galaxy's peculiar velocity is toward us and larger than its Hubble recessional velocity, then its light will appear blueshifted.’
- ‘Over three decades of such trials they have shown that the recessional speed of the Moon is about an inch and a half per year.’
- 1.2Geology (of a moraine or other deposit) left during a pause in the retreat of a glacier or ice sheet.
- ‘Bogs and glacial recessional lake deposits frequently contain compressible deposits of peat and organic-rich silt.’
- ‘Thus beaches are correlated with recessional moraines, and the beach elevation remains the same until the ice barrier retreats to a position where a new lake outlet is exposed.’
- ‘A substantial recessional moraine accumulated at the junction of the three tributary glaciers at this position.’
A hymn sung while the clergy and choir process out of church at the end of a service.Compare with processional
- ‘Gail Smith, who has been active in church music, has assembled a useful group of pieces suitable for church or Sunday school preludes, offertories or recessionals.’
- ‘The choir sang for processionals and recessionals and during church services.’
- ‘Either of these two pieces could also be used immediately after the wedding recessional, while guests leave the Church.’
- ‘After the recessional we slip away from Mama and Papa, who will loiter by the door to exchange pleasantries with Father Friend.’
- ‘After the recessional Croft waited until the exodus had abated, nodded silently to her ladyship as she passed down the aisle, and followed the stragglers out.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.