One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to an economic recession.‘recessional times’
- ‘In addition, the recessional economy has created a more cautious buying environment.’
- ‘This trend was due to lower outflows on services and other incomes earned because of the recessional conditions of the domestic economy, including the export sector.’
- ‘Because it has diversified from gaming and tourism, Las Vegas is no longer immune to U.S. recessional trends, he said.’
- 1.1Astronomy Relating to or denoting motion away from the observer.
- ‘Typical recessional speed for Virgo cluster galaxies is about 1,200 kilometres/second.’
- ‘So, in a nutshell, if a galaxy's peculiar velocity is toward us and larger than its Hubble recessional velocity, then its light will appear blueshifted.’
- ‘Over three decades of such trials they have shown that the recessional speed of the Moon is about an inch and a half per year.’
- 1.2Geology (of a moraine or other deposit) left during a pause in the retreat of a glacier or ice sheet.
- ‘Bogs and glacial recessional lake deposits frequently contain compressible deposits of peat and organic-rich silt.’
- ‘A substantial recessional moraine accumulated at the junction of the three tributary glaciers at this position.’
- ‘Thus beaches are correlated with recessional moraines, and the beach elevation remains the same until the ice barrier retreats to a position where a new lake outlet is exposed.’
A hymn sung while the clergy and choir process out of church at the end of a service.Compare with processional
- ‘After the recessional Croft waited until the exodus had abated, nodded silently to her ladyship as she passed down the aisle, and followed the stragglers out.’
- ‘Either of these two pieces could also be used immediately after the wedding recessional, while guests leave the Church.’
- ‘Gail Smith, who has been active in church music, has assembled a useful group of pieces suitable for church or Sunday school preludes, offertories or recessionals.’
- ‘After the recessional we slip away from Mama and Papa, who will loiter by the door to exchange pleasantries with Father Friend.’
- ‘The choir sang for processionals and recessionals and during church services.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.