Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The standard form of British English pronunciation, based on educated speech in southern England.
- ‘We should remember that Gladstone had a strong Merseyside accent, and that received pronunciation is largely an artefact of the broadcast era.’
- ‘Clare Francis speaks with the sort of received pronunciation you might expect from a former yachtswoman brought up in the Home Counties.’
- ‘Gone is the Doctor's received pronunciation and upper class background.’
- ‘It's an observation which could have come straight from the mouth of a terrorist, but because it's uttered in the received pronunciation of Mr Loyn's BBC tones, no one even noticed it until I picked him up on it.’
- ‘She speaks in breathless, giggly received pronunciation.’
- ‘She was still in the midst of the old world of received pronunciation and velvet smoking jackets.’
- ‘But Himalaya is the received pronunciation, certainly in the UK, so I didn't want to sound as though I was being too clever.’
- ‘You have to relish the language but you don't force it into received pronunciation because that would kill it.’
- ‘All were more or less informed by the desire to distance Shakespeare in performance from the perceived colonial baggage of received pronunciation, and stage English.’
- ‘Standard English at that time was British English with received pronunciation.’
- ‘Someone commented on my yokel version, which for ages I have thought was the received pronunciation of the word.’
- ‘The Doctor is a scientist and an intellectual, and a lot of people seem to think you can only be those things if you speak with received pronunciation which, of course, is rubbish.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.