One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The projection of a picture onto the back of a translucent screen for viewing or for use as a background in filming.
- ‘Part of the charm of the film comes with the use of rear projection and double exposure - devices probably seen as decidedly old fashioned in a CGI-soaked movie world.’
- ‘A class of TVs called microdisplays uses technologies known as LCD rear projection, digital light processing or DLP, and Liquid Crystal on Silicon (LCoS).’
- ‘The chipmaker is gambling there will still be room in the marketplace by 2005 for cheap, larger formats like rear projection.’
- ‘For the most part the matting and compositing of these effects with live action elements is seamless, with the exception of a few bad looking rear projection shots.’
- ‘Also included is a short segment on how the directors used rear projection (a novel technique at the time) to place the actors in Rio.’
- ‘Beyond the 20-foot square room, larger, rear projection video screens should be used.’
- ‘For a project four years ago, the rear projection screen itself was something like 30 feet by 20 feet, explains Chess.’
- ‘The anamorphic 1.85: 1 image is clean and crisp, but this then helps to highlight the antiquated techniques - rear projection, blue screen - used to create many of the film's fright scenes.’
- ‘Some moments of rear projection gave me a chuckle.’
- ‘Technically he seems to rely too heavily on rear projection; often the film feels a little false because of it.’
- ‘This included matte paintings, traveling mattes, rear projection, model work, and so on.’
- ‘Old-fashioned, CRT-based rear projection TVs are bulky, suffer from potential burn-in, and need regular recalibration.’
- ‘We re-created the spider scene using stop-motion animation, black and white film, travelling mattes, rear projection - all the old techniques - so that we provided a speculation on what that original spider scene could be like.’
- ‘We have a number of facilities in here: the first that you would notice is this screen up the end, it's a rear projection screen and we have up to three projectors.’
- ‘The instances of rear projection are handled well and almost all the miniatures are believable (the chariot sequences really benefit from their realism).’
- ‘The film - another first showing in Vancouver - will be screened from a 16 mm rear projection (meaning the movie appears directly on the wall).’
- ‘As is usual with films from the period, special effects and rear projection are painfully noticeable, adding to the concerns.’
- ‘There are plenty of high-tech choices out there including LCD and newer style rear projection.’
- ‘The projector can be mounted on a ceiling or tabletop, and be used for front or rear projection.’
- ‘What type of TV gives you the best picture quality, is it DLP, LCD, LCD rear projection, or Plasma?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.