One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The ego's control of the pleasure-seeking activity of the id in order to meet the demands of the external world.
- ‘On many levels there is a reality principle at work that each of us must face.’
- ‘However, Faulkner's wife Julia remains committed to the reality principle, following a strict daily routine of things to do, still turning up for work, wearing business clothes, and showing concern for Faulkner's job.’
- ‘The theory of imperialism has triumphed over the reality principle.’
- ‘The principle of simulation wins out over the reality principle just as over the principle of pleasure.’
- ‘When we act in order to benefit ourselves in the long-term, we utilize the reality principle, and we rely not on our instinct, but on reason.’
- ‘As the child internalizes and submits to the father's prohibition, it turns from the pleasure to the reality principle.’
- ‘The true wish is to preserve a special, individual, consistent identity that does not have to compromise with the reality principle.’
- ‘One of the many fascinating things about the aide's remarks is the reversal of the view that it is the role of political authority (particularly on the right) to impose a reality principle.’
- ‘But to educated people, embracing the reality principle means, above all, following the spirit of science.’
- ‘They can, therefore, operate according to Freud's reality principle, and defer pleasure in the interests of overall long-term benefits.’
- ‘Representation is, as it were, the reality principle of the image.’
- ‘However therapeutic, poetry does not suffer the reality principle gladly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.