One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
usually in singular An occasion on which one is reminded of the state of things in the real world.
- ‘I think it's going to be a reality check to talk to young people across the way.’
- ‘It's also a wake-up call, a reality check from which you emerge with a reassuring sense of integrity.’
- ‘It's anything but the simple life for her, because now she's getting a reality check of her own.’
- ‘Wimbledon's demise is a stark reality check of where soccer is going in a free market.’
- ‘It was a bit of a reality check for the U.S. credit market, with yields rising across the board.’
- ‘What was supposed to be a great night of drinking and dancing actually brought an insulting reality check.’
- ‘But let's take a quick reality check and see what increased tuition really means.’
- ‘Even a nonbinding vote would act as a reality check for supervisory boards.’
- ‘He will also miss the constant reality check of observing military life first hand.’
- ‘This wreck was the best bad thing that ever happened to me, because it was a reality check.’
- ‘Talking with folks throughout the organization helps provide a reality check, she says.’
- ‘We both were controllable and felt we added a comforting reality check to each other until help arrived.’
- ‘Go ahead and let them present their views, but make sure there's a reality check.’
- ‘It ought to be about ordinary people giving the metropolitan political elite an annual reality check.’
- ‘And at the war's end, when the prisoners came home, there were some amazing reunions but for most it was a bleak reality check.’
- ‘But for him, and the other aspirants, the day was a reality check.’
- ‘Let's hope that those responsible for the proper use of State funds experience a swift reality check in the interim.’
- ‘Both women said they felt strangely invigorated by the reality check of measuring their steps.’
- ‘A reality check will show that journalists are under attack everywhere.’
- ‘It was a humbling experience, and a reality check in my own life and relationships.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.