Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A soft reddish mineral consisting of arsenic sulfide, formerly used as a pigment and in fireworks.
- ‘Even the arsenic mine at Shimen, Hunan Province, is still the source of minor amounts of good realgar, orpiment, and calcite.’
- ‘Unfortunately, however, many orpiment localities also contain abundant to trace realgar, sometimes intimately intergrown with the orpiment, leading to overall specimen stability problems.’
- ‘Other minerals associated with the orpiment crystals are white to colorless barite crystals, lemon-yellow crystalline masses of sulfur, and minor realgar.’
- ‘A number of relatively minor yet interesting California realgar localities are given by Murdoch and Webb.’
- ‘The specimen was a classic Lengenbach assemblage: sugary white dolomite matrix, realgar, minor pyrite, and a massive metallic gray sulfosalt that had been labeled as ‘sartorite.’’
- ‘Small amounts of realgar have been reported from a large number of European occurrences, generally related to relatively recent volcanism, limestone or dolomite quarries, or base- and precious-metal deposits.’
- ‘It is an alteration product of realgar, native arsenic, and, less commonly, arsenopyrite.’
- ‘Orpiment and realgar are yellow and orange mineral species of arsenic sulphide, used in 16th-century Venetian painting particularly, but at various other times also.’
- ‘Orpiment is a lesser mineral associated with realgar and lead sulfosalts in dolomite at Binnental, Valais, Switzerland.’
- ‘The next morning we drove west to the famous town of Shimen, the locality for all the superb realgar and orpiment crystals.’
Late Middle English: via medieval Latin from Arabic rahj al-ġār ‘arsenic’, literally ‘dust of the cave’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.