One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used to emphasize that someone or something is fully prepared or immediately available.‘the apartment was all ready and waiting for them’
- ‘The American public not only needs a family-centered labor market policy - it is ready and waiting for one to be proposed.’
- ‘I've got tea and snacks ready and waiting in the sun room.’
- ‘I can't really imagine myself holding onto some fat gun, ready and waiting to shoot and kill for a war that I know barely anything about.’
- ‘Meanwhile, back at the camp, our cook had dinner ready and waiting.’
- ‘Whenever you start work on a computer, you ought to find a one-page e-mail summary ready and waiting.’
- ‘When Allied bombers arrived over Japanese cities, the Japanese air defenses would be ready and waiting for them.’
- ‘Dix had an excuse ready and waiting as to why she wouldn't be immediately present and urged Sara on without her.’
- ‘Why weren't they ready and waiting for the request for troops?’
- ‘It was launched in Kingston several years ago and counsellors, who have undergone specialist training, are ready and waiting to advise the borough's young people.’
- ‘When Rosa returns, I am ready and waiting to go on our ride.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.