Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Perhaps this is because most of the visible concrete jobs are big, commercial affairs surrounded by roaring ready-mix trucks and a lot of wildly gesticulating, dirt-caked workers.’
- ‘It took 79 ready-mix trucks to keep up with the schedule.’
- ‘Toward the end of each day ready-mix trucks were loaded with aggregate and water.’
- ‘Exhaust from idling diesel engines, especially from ready-mix concrete trucks, poured into this space.’
- ‘Some ready-mix companies offer the use of these as a customer courtesy, otherwise get one for the day at a rent-all.’
- ‘But since these products are applied over existing concrete surfaces, ready-mix producers aren't interested in promoting or distributing them.’
- ‘In the developing countries where it dominates, bagged cement sales outstrip those of ready-mix.’
- ‘In the early 1990s, concrete firms sold their ready-mix trucks to their employee drivers, forcing them to become contractors.’
- ‘In succeeding years, grain merchandising, agronomy/fertilizer, feed sales and ready-mix concrete departments were added.’
- ‘Everyone from designers to ready-mix producers to concrete contractors knows that we aren't out to embarrass anyone or to throw fuel onto a burning issue.’
- ‘He began removing forms from a recently completed wall while a concrete crew poured ready-mix nearby.’
- ‘Get a small amount of the same Portland cement and sand used on your project by your ready-mix supplier.’
- ‘Many have observed the benefit of using materials with a minimum thickness of 15 mils when ready-mix trucks or laser screeds drive directly on the vapor retarder.’
- ‘I started to work with some ready-mix suppliers to get bigger stone in my mixes.’
- ‘Many tool rental companies offer ready-mix concrete with small minimums and reduced prices.’
- ‘The room was full of ready-mix sales people, cement sales people, ad sales people.’
- ‘Notify your ready-mix producer several days before you need concrete so there is time to stock the aggregate and pre-soak it.’
- ‘One of the most visible changes associated with the new identity is the livery of the cement and ready-mix trucks.’
- ‘He is director of marketing of the Michigan Concrete Association, which focuses on ready-mix.’
- ‘During this period, there was no particular boom in the construction industry, the major user of ready-mix concrete.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.