Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The state or power of being reactive or the degree to which a thing is reactive.
responsiveness, sensitivenessView synonyms
- ‘Acid reflux has been associated with bronchospasm, heightened bronchial reactivity, and airway edema.’
- ‘There was no evidence that the magnitude of the effect on allergen skin test reactivity differed between the three parasites.’
- ‘In its simplest form, it provides qualitative explanations for the formation and reactivity of molecules.’
- ‘Skin test reactivity was also a significant predictor of maximal lung growth in those with respiratory symptoms regardless of sex.’
- ‘Pituitary adenomas exhibited intense diffuse cytoplasmic reactivity.’
- ‘For the women who scored low on extraversion, no brain reactivity to positive stimuli was found.’
- ‘In particular, we examined whether pulmonary function and nonspecific airway reactivity differed depending on atopic status.’
- ‘Once a worker is sensitized to an occupational agent, bronchial reactivity usually persists.’
- ‘The good news is that the change of a single amino acid in the major peanut allergen can reduce reactivity.’
- ‘Thus, one manifestation of the lack of differentiation of self is emotional reactivity.’
- ‘Finally, the qualitative data provide additional support for the notion of cue reactivity.’
- ‘In another asthma model, airway reactivity and lung inflammation were enhanced in the lung.’
- ‘The effect of skin test reactivity remained significant for all symptoms except exercise-induced wheeze.’
- ‘Unfortunately, no postexposure measurement of bronchial reactivity was performed.’
- ‘Our results suggest that airway wall thickening attenuates airway reactivity in patients with asthma.’
- ‘The chemical reactivity of titanium to the halides is similarly exhibited by its combination with their acids.’
- ‘We measured the tracheal smooth muscle reactivity to methacholine.’
- ‘Basically, it's a lot of airway reactivity and a lot of inflammation.’
- ‘The most significant component in array validation is the comprehensive evaluation of cross reactivity.’
- ‘Interpretation relies on the presence or absence of reactivity to the specific antigens.’
- 1.1 The extent to which a nuclear reactor deviates from a steady state.
- ‘The temperature changes in turn modify the reactivity through different nuclear physics processes, which has a well defined influence on the number of neutrons ready to induce fission.’
- ‘The spectrum of nuclear reactivity, including intensity and extent, was graded for all categories as shown in Tables 2 and 3.’
- ‘Because of the instability, an RBMK reactor that loses its coolant can under certain circumstances increase in reactivity and run progressively faster and hotter rather than shut itself down.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.