One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Sort (something) again or differently.
- ‘Any time there is that much change, all organizations have to re-sort themselves.’
- ‘But now we find a large-scale re-sorting of people among cities and regions nationwide, with some regions becoming centers of the creative class while others are composed of larger shares of working-class or service-class people.’
- ‘And it would be great if I could just press a button and do that, rather than having to re-sort the order of 24 pages.’
- ‘They were constantly sorting and re-sorting themselves.’
- ‘But should you be so inclined, here's my recently updated Wish List (I'd re-sort the list by priority before making a purchase).’
- ‘Once the door was closed, she shook her head and sat back, trying to re-sort her papers.’
- ‘The president, and other club volunteers performed a ‘mini waste audit’ in the Great Hall, re-sorting garbage bin contents into trash, recyclables and compostable material piles.’
- ‘I sorted by function, re-sorted by colour and brand, then fondled each item individually, planning what to use and what to hoard.’
- ‘At the destination station they are unloaded by other dabba wallahs and re-sorted, this time according to street address and floor.’
- ‘As opposed to an electronic collection that can be sorted and re-sorted at will, any printed collection of charms will have to remain fixed, ordered by a single principle, contents, or goal, or form.’
- ‘I made and put up some shelves recently, and had cause to re-sort all the books in the house.’
- ‘Linda wants to know if there is a quicker way to move or re-sort columns in the spreadsheet than to cut and paste.’
- ‘Once fibers are downcycled into mixed paper products, they can never be re-sorted to be used for P&W papers.’
- ‘After re-designing the booth and re-sorting the books, the gates opened to visitors.’
- ‘The student usually attempts to help out by restacking the papers, but the teacher will probably have to spend additional time re-sorting the papers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.